In 1629 the Bishop of Sulmona - Francesco Cavalieri - noted in his report that the "chapel" of the Madonna del Soccorso had been much enlarged. We know therefore that the small country church had been rebuilt during the first half of the 17th century on top of an existing building.
The origins of this church, the only one present in the old town, date back to the 15th century and it is likely to have been built at the same time and within the walls of the castle. The visible ruins are only partially attributable to the original building: the surviving altars are in fact from a 17th-century intervention.
It was abandoned following damage suffered in the earthquake of...
The church, located at the entrance of the village, was rebuilt in the 18th century on the ruins of a building dating back to 1555. During the first half of the 20th century the flat ceiling of the nave was constructed.